About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Jonathan Denard McNeair and I grew up in Lexington, North Carolina, also known as Pig City...Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha...The town is mostly known for its barbeque where they often throw barbeque festivals every October. In my chosen career, I am a self-published author of fiction.

Monday, October 15, 2018

Heathers (2018)






The 1988 teen comedy Heathers was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Winona Ryder was at the top of her game and I was gradually a fan of hers.


The thing about the movie was that it wasn't you're typical happy-go-lucky 80's teen comedy. It was pretty dark in some places. It actually had THEMES. Suicide, teen angst, depression, corruption. Heathers is probably the best-written teen comedy of that decade and it's truly an all-time classic.
Come to my surprise that the Columbia TV streaming service is making a television series and judging by the trailer, not a good one at that.
Now what makes the original memorable is the insatiable witty dialogue in which this show fails to match. It just seems so forced and the jokes fall flat.



What they also did differently was cram in a lot of SJW agenda. The Heathers in the original was your typical hot cosmopolitan-type of girls. In this version, the main Heather is an overly confident plus-sized girl, the second Heather is a gossipy gay guy, and the third Heather is an African-American Lesbian. This could work if it was executed well. Yes, I do see potential in this, I mean what if the main Heather was this bullied girl who suddenly became popular by chance and uses her newly found puberty by showing off her hips, curves, and sexuality to get her way. But no, pretty much all of the Heathers are portrayed as obnoxious and don't seem like complexed characters.



And as for the two leads, they are tragically bland and does not match the charisma of Winona Ryder. Very, very poor choices.
Just the thought of making a series out of this just seems way out of bounds. How can you make a day to day story arc from a simplistic plot like Heathers? It just doesn't fit. And If this has a second season, where to go from here?
All I have to say is it's just a TV show with the same name. Nothing more, nothing less.
Just by the trailer, I don't recommend this.


No comments: