About Me

My photo
Hi, my name is Jonathan Denard McNeair and I grew up in Lexington, North Carolina, also known as Pig City...Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha...The town is mostly known for its barbeque where they often throw barbeque festivals every October. In my chosen career, I am a self-published author of fiction.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Halloween 2 (2009)

I really expected this to be shitty and tried to avoid this at all cost. When I finally took a look at it, it turns out not to be the case. I'm not saying this is any good, but it's not as bad as one might think. It's right on the same level as the first movie.  What's different about this is that it mainly focuses on Laurie's crippling sanity. Here is where the movie gets a little tedious: Micheal having visions of his dead mother cutting to Laurie's hallucinations. But what makes it different from the first one is that it actually develops Laurie, making her fucked up just like the world around her. Finally, they develop Annie more(yes, she survived the first film, not so much lucky on here) giving Danielle Harris some points in her acting. Doctor Loomis has become more of an asshole, exploiting the events from the first film in his tell-all book.Okay, So I pretty much told the whole story other than Micheal going on a random killing spree.
The directing, let see....like all of Zombie's films, the directing is all over the place and I can't seem to catch what's going on. The deaths are much bloodier, gorier, and more brutal. I actually winced at certain scenes even though at some point it was hard to see what's going on. Which is another thing, I hate it in horror movies when it's all pitch dark where you can't see anything. I don't know if it's the directing or the crew probably didn't feel like using any lights, but this shit is really getting old. In order for us to enjoy a movie, WE HAVE TO SEE WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!
The acting is far much more better than it's preceeder. Scout-Taylor Compton really surprised me. This a much more different Laurie. She is a broken shell of a girl, trying to deal with the demons of her past. She's not the annoying, little twit I come to hate. She's becoming more of an interesting character arc even though some of you might still hate her, but it was Scout-Taylor's strong performance that carried her character through. Of course, I would say that Danielle Harris is a really good actress even though she had a few lines here and there but the scene where Laurie and Annie have an intense moment together really broke the mold for her. I actually cared that she died. Her death scene was raw, violent, and emotional. It's by far the most intense peice of the film. Overall, it was a total tearjerker.
Not much to say about Doctor Loomis other than being a real dick as usual. Not really as prominent as he was in the first film. As for the rest of the characters, they are just you're typical run-in-the-mill victims. Yes, Laurie has new friends but that dosen't make them signifigant characters. I don't even know their names.
The story is a lot more interesting. Compared to the original Halloween 2, this is far much more better. I know some of you would agree with me but this has a lot more plot in it. In the 1981 sequel, it took place at a hospital with Micheal killing the whole staff. This kind of concept was done to death during that decade. But the opening scene gives a nod to that which is cool.
So this is pretty much a typical Rob Zombie film, although I'm not a big fan of his movies at all, This does seem to be an improvement from the first film.
My last word is, it's watchable but pretty forgettable. So like I said, Watch it once then forget it.

No comments: